Support Forum Softcomplex logo
About Us  | Services  | Download  | Order  | Support  | |
| Search | Today's Posts | Stats | Board Rules | Not logged in [ Login | Register ]
go to bottom
Last active: Never

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
Author: Subject: Surprise, surprise... event not showing up!
Whatever

posted on 12/21/2006 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Surprise, surprise... event not showing up!

I put the following above my head section on my website's index page:

<?
include 'php_event_calendar/cl_files/calendar.php';
?>

I then placed this on the page where I want the calender to be displayed:

<?
new calendar(My_Family_Calendar);
?>

I created an event, but when you click on the date - a new page (_blank) opens with an error message saying that this file cannot be found.

Why is my calendar event not showing up?

This calendar sucks. But I would still like to get it working if possible. Has anyone had any success in getting it to work?

When I create an event, that should be the end of it, - the calendar should display the event. Apparently though this is asking too much.

What must I do to get a simple little calendar event to display in this Event Calendar?
tigra
Administrator

posted on 12/21/2006 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote

Assuming you have created calendar with the name 'My_Family_Calendar' in the control panel you should call it with the quotes because it's the string, not variable:

<?
new calendar('My_Family_Calendar');
?>

PS: Hey, there is no need to go on the trash posting spree every time you experience difficulties. I had to delete two dozen of your posting and will ban the account if this happens again.
tigra
Administrator

posted on 12/21/2006 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote

Warned you. You wasted two hours of your life posting trash and offending other forum members. Now it's all gone. Took me 20 seconds. Must feel good.
Whatever

posted on 12/21/2006 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote

So there is somebody at home!

Even with the quotes the Event Calender does not display events. I'm sorry, but this is a terrible calendar script with terrible instructions.

I made a very basic and simple HTML table calendar that I would place a link on a date for which I had an event. When someone clicked on the date, a window would pop open displaying the event. It was very basic and simple - but it worked. Your's don't.

In order to get an event to display on your calendar I would have to go into the code and manually link on a date to a standard web page to display an event. Just like my calendar above only with a whole lot more difficulty since there's a whole lot more code to wade through.

You have made this program far more complicated and bloated than it need be, to the point where it does not work as it should out of the box.

If you read any of my posts before you deleted them, you would have seen where I referenced the calendar script in the book [sorry, advertising is notallowed in forums]. It works great and with far less code than yours and it is User Friendly - where your's is not. You should have a look at it and see if you can incorporate some of the same principles into your calendar.

I think you have a good idea for a calendar script but speaking as web developer, it's no good. I could not use it in a website like it is. Not only because it doesn't work, but because it's far too complicated for the average user. I'm not an average user and I can't figure the damn thing out. Who was your target audience? NASA engineers!?

If by some wild chance I am able to figure this heaping mess of code out and get the thing working, I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Sorry about the trashing.

David P
tigra
Administrator

posted on 12/21/2006 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote

Most of the users install and configure the calendar without any problems. Naturally they're not posting anything in the forums. This is the reason why forums are only filled with the cries for help. Most of the problems are easily resolved and we go extra mile in addressing them.

The reasons the calendar installation is sometimes more difficult than it is for other scripts are:
1. we don't use the database so we have to store the data in files, this means configuring paths and permissions. This is done to make the calendar work where the database is not available.
2. the calendar is designed to be embedded in existing pages, this means that you need to mess with the code a little bit. This is done to allow better integration. With other scripts you modify their templates to make the calendar pages look like they belong to the site.

As always we deal with flexibility vs simplicity dilemma.
chronister

posted on 1/1/2007 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote

I agree Tigra, although its a little more complicated than most feel it should be (myself included) it does work as it says. Following directions and ensuring the paths are correct and ensuring the file permissions are set and the calendar works great.
Post new thread

Related Links:
Product Page
Product Demonstrations Live Demos
Free/Trial Script Download Free Download
Product Documentation Documentation
Documentation page
Change Log
Support Forum Support Forum
Order Now ORDER NOW!
Add to Cart
View Cart