Support Forum Softcomplex logo
About Us  | Services  | Download  | Order  | Support  | |
| Search | Today's Posts | Stats | Board Rules | Not logged in [ Login | Register ]
go to bottom
Last active: Never

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread
Author: Subject: Page Updates...
synergy46

posted on 12/28/2005 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Page Updates...

I am just looking at Tigra Menu and need to ask this question:

If I have a web site of 50 pages and add a new page, do I have to a) recreate the menu with the new link and then b) paste the new code 49 times into the new pages.

Or, is there a CSS workaround for this situation? Or, perhaps just a better way to deal with it?

Thanks for reading...

Ronaldo
SopieMunky

posted on 12/30/2005 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by synergy46
I am just looking at Tigra Menu and need to ask this question:

If I have a web site of 50 pages and add a new page, do I have to a) recreate the menu with the new link and then b) paste the new code 49 times into the new pages.

Or, is there a CSS workaround for this situation? Or, perhaps just a better way to deal with it?

Thanks for reading...

Ronaldo

I'm not sure how CSS works exactly with automatically updating. I know the other option for you is to use frames, but that is a terrible idea.

My only suggestion would be to do what I do with my site. Learn how to put PHP on your site. If you already have it, it's pretty simple.

Create a page specifically for your menu. Just add the menu, and that's it. Then, save it as a PHP document or whatever--I think it might work for HTML, but I'm not sure, as I've never tried it--and insert the page (via "PHP include") the menu is on. If you have it on every page, every time you update the menu, the menu that appears on every page is the updated as well.

And if that didn't make much sense...

1) Make your menu.
2) Make a page that contains just your menu.
3) Make a PHP include on each page you want the menu to appear on, and exactly on the spot you want it to appear on.
4) Whenever you want your menu updated, edit the page that contains just the menu.
5) This should make it to where every page that contains that PHP include code appears updated.

It works for me. Although I've never tried it for this particular menu program. It depends on where you have your menu positioned if you're using the free version. I know that if you're using the Gold version, this is easily possible no matter what.

I hope this helps and that I have not confused you. If you have any more questions, I would suggest emailing me rather than sending me a PM. I don't check this site as often anymore.
rimbertr

posted on 1/25/2006 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote

Great idea by SopieMunky.

Another way, depending on your HTML editor, is if you're using templates. If you are, just change the menu in the template and apply the template to the other pages. I'm using Dreamweaver and it prompts you to update all pages using a template whenever I save changes to it.
tigra
Administrator

posted on 1/26/2006 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote

And yet another way to deal with shared elements of the page without resorting to the server side scripting or frames is SCMS: http://www.softcomplex.com/products/scms/
Post new thread

Related Links:
Product Page Tigra Menu
Product Demonstrations Live Demos:
Traditional Blue
White Steps
Inner HTML
All Together
Frames Targeting
Free Download Free Download
Free Download Menu Builders
Online Builder