Board Logo

Hints under SSL?
alrobins - 10/28/2004 at 04:24 PM

I've been using hints successfully with nonsecure web pages, but when trying to move the application to a secure webserver running SSL, I.E. complains that the page contains both secure and nonsecure content (interestingly, Netscape does not complain). I've narrowed it down thusly:

* When the page contains other javascript but not Hints, IE does not complain.

* When the page contains just <script language='JavaScript' src='../js/hints.js'></script>, IE does not complain.

* When I add a variable declaration for HINTS_CFG to the above, IE does not complain.

* When I add a blank variable declaration for HINTS_ITEMS (var HINTS_ITEMS = { } ), IE does not complain

* When I add
var myHint = new THints (HINTS_CFG, HINTS_ITEMS);
IE does not complain.

* When I add anything to HINTS_ITEMS,
IE complains about having both secure and nonsecure content.

The final version looks like this:

<script language='JavaScript' src='../js/hints.js'></script><script language='JavaScript'>
var HINTS_CFG = {
'top' : 5,
'left' : 5,
'css' : 'hintsClass',
'show_delay' : 500,
'hide_delay' : 0,
'wise' : true,
'follow' : true,
'z-index' : 0
};
</script>
<script language='Javascript'>
var HINTS_ITEMS = {
"OPB2":"This is a test."};
var myHint = new THints (HINTS_CFG, HINTS_ITEMS);
</script>

As a mildly interesting aside, when IE complains about having both nonsecure and secure content, it asks whether I want to display the nonsecure content. I've chosen to display it, and also chosen not to display it, and compared the page source-- they are identical, and the hints still work regardless of which I choose.

tigra - 10/28/2004 at 05:43 PM

Tigra Hints utilizes <iframe> as the way to cover other windowed controls (selectboxes, iframes etc). Add src attribute refering to some blank HMTL document in secure part of your server to make IE happy.

alrobins - 10/29/2004 at 02:24 PM

Thanks, that did the trick.

Softcomplex: http://www.softcomplex.com/
Back to forum: http://www.softcomplex.com/forum/