Board Logo

Short tags? PHP coding style...
placidpsychosis - 4/20/2005 at 08:47 PM

I have a copy of 1.4 that we tried to use on a hosted server. No-go, because the code uses non-portable depreciated methods. Short open tags are not enabled on a lot of servers, for good reason! They conflict with XML tags, and they're disabled by default on some installations (PHP5, for example). This makes the code non-portable across many servers. Bad form, if you really plan on selling a product.

Then there is shorthand <?=string all throughout, which is depreciated syntax in PHP4. PHP is not ASP, and it shouldn't be coded like it. This shorthand makes it impossible to fix the code simply by changing all <? to <?php, as you can't use <?php=string for echo shorthand.

Not to mention the constant on-off-on-off approach to the PHP code. Any professional developer worth his salt can tell you that more seperation of logic and display are needed.

So there, you have my review. I hope dearly that the new 1.5 release is coded better, but from what I see there are even basic HTML mistakes. I won't be trying the 1.5 release.

Shame, too, inexpensive as it is.

cmacalvary - 12/1/2005 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by placidpsychosis
I have a copy of 1.4 that we tried to use on a hosted server. No-go, because the code uses non-portable depreciated methods. Short open tags are not enabled on a lot of servers, for good reason! They conflict with XML tags, and they're disabled by default on some installations (PHP5, for example). This makes the code non-portable across many servers. Bad form, if you really plan on selling a product.

Then there is shorthand <?=string all throughout, which is depreciated syntax in PHP4. PHP is not ASP, and it shouldn't be coded like it. This shorthand makes it impossible to fix the code simply by changing all <? to <?php, as you can't use <?php=string for echo shorthand.

Not to mention the constant on-off-on-off approach to the PHP code. Any professional developer worth his salt can tell you that more seperation of logic and display are needed.

So there, you have my review. I hope dearly that the new 1.5 release is coded better, but from what I see there are even basic HTML mistakes. I won't be trying the 1.5 release.

Shame, too, inexpensive as it is.

I'm not a php programmer. Whats a long tag?

Softcomplex: http://www.softcomplex.com/
Back to forum: http://www.softcomplex.com/forum/