Board Logo

iframe question
esm - 11/13/2004 at 05:05 PM

Hi,

I have a scroller running on a website. Is it possible to switch to another scroller instance by calling it from inside an iframe on the same page? If yes, how?

Thanks,

Ed

rock - 11/18/2004 at 10:22 AM

Currently the feature is not available neither in free version nor in PRO.

esm - 11/21/2004 at 05:34 PM

That's too bad. I had planned to purchase the PRO version because it supports the endless loop feature but if I can't call it from inside an iFrame on the same page, it's useless to me.

What about switching it from the page itself, not an iFrame? Would that work?

rock - 11/22/2004 at 12:35 PM

If you want to switch next/previous item (among defined at tpl file) the answer would be 'yes' either for page or for iframe at the page. If you asking about switching scroller controls then answer is 'no'.

esm - 11/22/2004 at 03:51 PM

I'm not sure that I understand your answer. What do you mean by "next/previous" item as defined in the tpl file? All I want to do is to switch the (0) in <script language="JavaScript">Tscroll_init (0)</script> to a (1) to initiate another scroller content.

rock - 11/23/2004 at 10:28 AM

That's impossible with standard script but I think it could be customized for you.

esm - 11/23/2004 at 03:18 PM

The PRO version should support that!

rock - 11/24/2004 at 09:01 AM

The feature is never mentioned within the Tigra Scroller PRO documentation.

esm - 11/25/2004 at 03:52 PM

What would the customization of the PRO scroller cost?

rock - 11/26/2004 at 11:10 AM

Please refer to our [url="http://www.softcomplex.com/support/"]Customer Care System[/url]. We'll discuss requirements, terms and quotation estimates.

esm - 11/30/2004 at 06:11 PM

Rock,

I am trying something else that might work (with your help):

I have replaced this line:
<script language="JavaScript">Tscroll_init (0)</script> with this one:

<iframe name="iframe1" src="store/scroll_store.htm" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" align="left" hspace="0" vspace="0" width="552" height="83"></iframe>

When the parent page loads, the scroller src="store/scroll_store.htm" runs in the iframe1 space. Here's the code of the scroll_store.htm:
<html>
<head>
<script language="javascript" src="ts_files/scroll.js"></script>
</head>
<body>
<script language="JavaScript">Tscroll_init (0)</script>
</body>
</html>
So far so good.

Further down I call another page into an iframe2, works great. The newly loaded page has this onload function:

<body "onload=load();" src="store/scroll_antiques.htm" target="_parent.iframe1">, which is supposed to replace the src from store/scroll_store to store/scroll_antiques, which contains another scroller instance.

Does that make sense?

I don't get any js error messages but it does not work either. Can you please help here?

Thanks,

Ed

rock - 12/1/2004 at 09:52 AM

As I know iframe has no 'target' attribute. So you could try with iframe2 something like the following:
<script language="javascript">
function load(){
parent.document.all['iframe1'].src = "new_iframe_scr.html"
}
</script>
<body onload="load();">
</body>

esm - 12/1/2004 at 05:53 PM

Scott, thanks a lot.

I think you're getting close, just one error message shy of success!

When the iframe page loads into the parent page, the original scroller disappears, as it should, but it is not replaced by the other scroller instance but with a white window "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable....." and an error message pops up 'parent.document.all.iframe1' is null or not an object. Any ideas?

Ed

rock - 12/2/2004 at 09:46 AM

I've tried changing iframe src and scroler did replaced. You can attach here your sample and I'll inverstigate the issue.

esm - 12/3/2004 at 05:32 PM

This piece of code produces an erorr message ( 'parent.document.all.iframe1' is null or not an object), probably my fault:

<head>
function load(){
parent.document.all['iframe1'].src = "new_iframe_scr.html"
}
</script>
</head>
<body onload="load();">
</body>
</html>

esm - 12/3/2004 at 06:43 PM

Never mind, I found it.

I changed this line
function load(){
parent.document.all['iframe2'].src = "store/scroll_antiques.htm"
}
</script>
</head>
<body onload="load();">
and it works.

Thanks for all the help.

Now, if you could find the onmouseover solution, I'd be ready to buy the PRO version.

Ed

esm - 12/3/2004 at 08:42 PM

Sorry to bother you guys again, I was a bit hasty in saying it works. It does work in IE but not in Opera 7.xx. Could this be connected to the error message I still get with this script: 'parent.document.all.iframe2' is null or not an object ?

rock - 12/6/2004 at 08:39 AM

Opera browser does not support document.all collection. When I paste the sample I assume that its your responsibility to provide required browser compatibility.

esm - 12/6/2004 at 03:42 PM

So, inother words, you can't help me any further?

rock - 12/6/2004 at 05:00 PM

try parent.getElementById('iframe1')

esm - 12/6/2004 at 05:23 PM

Like this:

function load(){ parent.getElementById('iframe1').src = "store/scroll_antiques.htm" }
</script>
</head>
<body onload="load();">

It creates this error message:

Object doesn't support this property or method

rock - 12/6/2004 at 05:37 PM

try parent.document.getElementById('iframe1')

esm - 12/6/2004 at 05:49 PM

That works, but again, only in IE, not in Opera and not in Firefox.

rock - 12/7/2004 at 09:59 AM

I've tried the solution with Opera7.0+ Mozilla 1.2+, FireFox1.0, NN6.2+
Works good.

esm - 12/8/2004 at 10:46 PM

I've figured it out. Apparently, Opera wants all involved files in one folder. I reworked the folder structure and it works now in IE, Opera and Firefox.

Thanks a lot for all your help. I just hope that I don't run into new trouble when I use the PRO version (once the onmouseover issue is resolved :-).

Ed

Softcomplex: http://www.softcomplex.com/
Back to forum: http://www.softcomplex.com/forum/