I'm pushing tree menu pro to the extreme. I populated menu with 12,000 links to the jsp pages. Obviously it affected menu performance, especially in
IE. After a while I realized that one folder with 9,000 is rarely used.
Conequently I created two tree_items.js files, one for 3,000 items and another one for 12,000. By default index.html is looking at 3,000 items and only if "rarely used" folder is clicked then it forwarded to index2.html and 12,000 items are loaded. I used demo2 from tree menu pro as follows:
[' <b>rarely used</b>', 'index2.html',0,
Unfortunately, everything is displayed in a new browser window. Could you give me a hint how to display it in the same window? May be you also have some idea how to improve performance for extreme cases.
I don't see the relation between the problem with the new window and the way you address the issue with large hierarchy. Anyway, the tree uses standard <a href=".."> tags for the links, so there is either target set for that link with target=".." attribute or base target is set for whole document. Check tree_tpl.js and make sure that 'target' parameter set to '_self'. Also there could be 'tw' key applied to the link in tree_items.js, but according to the code you provided it's not there. Base target can be defined in the header of the HTML document.
This solved my problem. I was just trying to improve performance and now by default Web browser will download tree_items.js (301 KB instead of 1439
I'm using tree menu as a Web interface for database and it works!